Update 2 November 2011
On 31st October 2011 Kim Kardashian filed for divorce from her husband Kris Humphries. They had been married just 72 days. The reason, as usual, was “irreconcilable differences.”
When it comes to the all-time list, about 11 couples have split faster.
Top of the list should be Rudolph “Latin Lover” Valentino (1895 â€“ 1926), a male sex symbol of the 1920s, who married Jean Acker (1893-1978) on 6th November 1919 after a 2-month courtship, the marriage lasting a reported quarter of a day – that would make it all of 6 hours. Apparently Acker quickly changed her mind and locked her husband out of their hotel bedroom on their wedding night – the marriage never consummated.
16 May 2007
According to vh1.com, the shortest celebrity marriages ever are between Robin Givens (pic above) and her tennis instructor Syetozar Marinkovic, who were married on August 22, 1997. She was then 33 years old. They were separated the same day they got married! Givens, the former Mrs Mike Tyson had divorced Tyson in 1989. 8 years later she decided to give marriage a second try. After her failed 2nd marriage she dated pro tennis player Murphy Jensen until today.
A close second is the marriage of Zsa Zsa Gabor and Felipe De Alba in 1982 (I don’t know the exact date). It also lasted a day, but at least they got separated on different dates.
Next up, those who separated less than a month after getting hitched:
* Dennis Hopper and Michelle Philips – 8 days, in 1971
* Robert Evans and Catherine Oxenberg – 12 days (they got married only 4 days after meeting in July 1998, annulled)
* Darva Conger and Rick Rockwell – 3 weeks (they married on FOXï¿½s TV show ï¿½Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaireï¿½ in February 2000)
* Drew Barrymore and Jeremy Thomas – 29 days (Mar – Apr 1994, after a 6-week courtship). Later she got married to Tom Green for 5 months (July – December 2001) – she is now reportedly just engaged to her boyfriend, Strokesï¿½ drummer Fabriozo Moretti – sheï¿½s on a roll…
After reading about the above, the following marriages would seem to be “…and they lived happily ever after”:
* Jennifer Lopez – married to Ojani Noa for 13 months (Feb 1997 – March 1998) and Cris Judd for 8 months (October 2001 – July 2002)
* Shannen Doherty – married to Ashley Hamilton for 5 months (Sept 1993 – Feb 1994), Richard Salomon for 9 months (Feb – Nov 2002)
* Nicholas Cage and Lisa Marie Presley – 3 months 15 days, [Warning sign - heï¿½s far more interested in her father than her?]
* Lisa Marie Presley and Michael Jackson – 20 months, May 1994 – January 1996
* Carmen Electra and Dennis Rodman – 5 months, November 1998 – March 1999 [Rodman claims he doesnï¿½t even remember most of it because he got married while intoxicated in Las Vegas, sought an annulment 9 days later]
* Mike Tyson and Robin Givens – 1 year, February 1988 – February 1989
* Jim Carrey and Lauren Holly – 9 months, September 1996 – June 1997 [Warning signs: tumultuous breakups and make-ups even before tying the knot]
* Axl Rose and Erin Everly – 7 months [Warning signs - he filed for divorce 1 month into it, then changed his mind - she reported serious physical abuse - marriage annulled]
* Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett – 21 months, June 1993 – March 1995 [Warning sign - they supposedly spent only 7 weeks together during their 1st 8 months of marriage and started sleeping apart even when in the same city]
* Charlie Sheen and Donna Peele – 4 months 24 days, September 1995 – February 1996 [Warning sign - he was in and out of rehab and arrested more than once for gun possession during their courtship.]
* Blink 182 drummer Travis Barker & Melissa Kennedy – recently divorced from his wife of 9 months (Sept 2001 – May 2002)
* Alyssa Milano and Cinjun Tate – 10 months 19 days. Cinjun is lead singer for band Remy Zero, they divorced in October 1999 when he walked out on her [Donï¿½t marry a young rocker who hasnï¿½t yet played the field!]
* R. Kelly and Aaliyah – under 3 months, August 1994 [marriage was annulled in late 1994 when a court found out she lied about her age in order to get married - she was only 15]
* Janet Jackson and James DeBarge – 4 months, September 1984 – January 1985 [she was 18 and marriage was annulled - NOT SURE if this was a secret at the time) Janet has just come clean with her 18-month secret relationship with rap producer Jermaine Dupri, which followed a 9- year secret marriage to choreographer Rene Elizondo (the girl likes to keep secrets)]
* Courtney Thorne-Smith was on January 2001 cover of InStyle magazine with her marriage to Andrew Conrad, a scientist. They were separated by the time the issue hit the stands (7 months, June 2000-January 2001).
* Kelly Rutherford, formerly of Melrose fame, was separated similarly when she appeared Feb 2002 issue.
* Paula Abdul was the cover of InStyle weddings in 1999 when she married Brad Beckerman, a fashion designer of sorts – they lasted 17 months (she also was married to Emilio Estevez from 1992-94).
* Helen Hunt chatted about her fabulous marriage to Hank Azaria but it only lasted 11 months (July 1999 – June 2000).