Imhalal was developed by a company in the Netherlands, with the aim of returning only search results that are not haram (forbidden).
It works by making use of a two-layer filtering system with the end result being: only “clean” search results are displayed or none at all.
It has a 3-level rating system for words entered. The words “beer” and “pork” are at level 1, “drugs” and non-offensive sex-related terms are at level 2 while any vulgarities will be instantly slapped with level 3.
It is not clear whether reading up on slimming products like an apidexin review would also be considered “unislamic.”
Playing with it a bit, I have made some interesting observations:
- “marijuana” and “cannabis” are unrated – so not haram?
- “cocaine” is at level 1, and “heroin” at level 2 – that means heroin is a worse drug than cocaine?
- “britney” or “britney spears” is at level 1, but “Madonna” (with results showing the popular singer) unrated – that means Madonna is not haram while Britney Spears is?
- “gay” is at level 2, but “Elton John” and “George Michael” are unrated
- other celebrities I’ve tried: Pamela Anderson at level 1, Mariah Carey unrated, Beyonce Knowles unrated
I haven’t tried any other words other than English though.